Wednesday, March 19, 2008

NY Changed My Life... Well Sort of.

So my first trip to New York was a success thanks to the watchful eyes of Abby and Tom. 4 hours on a bus, 3 and a half museums, One cab ride, A quick lunch in a Diner, A Subway excursion, and 70 some blocks later.... I have some changes to make to my projected project. I believe that one should be able to completely work, and rework their art as needed. So I have! I now know that I don't want the "me" that will be on the bench to be simply clay, I want to incorporate other objects. I am that girl that you see picking crap up off the streets, yep that's me. I love buttons, old earrings, little trinkets that others have left behind, yet I just can't seem to walk over. I don't know yet if I will use these things for my body, but I do know that I want them in the installation somewhere. Back to clay me. I decided that I wanted to use plastic to make up some of my body. I think it creates a wonderful contrast with the clay. I have an open mind so I want to work with the material more before I decide once and for all how this is all going to play out.
Update: Bugs are fired, over spring break I plan to paint and assemble them so that one and all can get to know them, or see them ;).

So after visiting New York I have looked into a few artists:
My favorite though is Kristen Morin: GOOGLE HER NOW!
http://www.marcselwynfineart.com/artists/morgin/morgin.html



NEXT, Julie Mehretu (She's in the MoMA)
The size and confusion brought about by her piece completely captured my attention!

Finally I love the use of color in (monochromatic in an elegant way)....Lisa Yuskavage's "The Wrist Corsage"

Conclusion: NY re-worked my thoughts. Color is coming in a big way. Finally I love NY now. (Wow I'm sheltered)
~Ash

No comments: