Tuesday, March 25, 2008

3D Sculpture + 2D Illustration = Sculptistration

Previously I was trying to solve how to bring an antique photograph, but more importantly the figures contained within back to life. My initial plan was to make a fully free-standing man that would interrupt space more than my previous sculptures from last year. As I continued building him, something happened, and I didn’t want to only use clay anymore. I wanted to mix my media, have some wire-form body parts, and Abby and I just recently came to the conclusion that he will be sitting on a podium that I will construct.

So then the question of how to combine 3d clay sculpture with wire-forms, and also 2d drawing/illustration on the side of the podium.
I started looking at my photographs first, which some of the one that inspired the original idea can be found here…

Accidental Mysteries

So then I had to start thinking about how to combine a 3D figure with the 2D surface of the podium, and I started looking as works such as these by Kaitlyn Chong and Paul Egan and Michael Schuhhardt…




So I am currently getting all my pieces together, so that I can assemble them out of the kiln.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jamilaleilani said...

Hi! The wire sculpture with the branch is actually mine (Jamila Keba) not Kaitlyn Chong's.
"Jamila Keba of San Francisco received the prestigious Best in Show award for her wire and branch sculpture"
I can see that you got confused since the award I won for the sculpture she won last year, as it
says in the article.
Here's the link:
http://www.sandomenico.org/page.cfm?p=977

If you could fix your crediting that would be great.

Thanks!