Monday, March 24, 2008

So im still working on all of my little words games. Nothing new there. Though I seem to have hit a little roadblock with some of the details of some that im working on now. Its just taking a little longer than I would have liked, so I havent produced as many as should have been completed by now. And of course anytime youd like to take a peek at them, they are all sitting on my shelf. They are the brightly painted strange little characters on the first shelf on the left as you walk in the door. So since there isnt much to talk about there, Id just like to note how im extremely interested and amused by the responses I get as Im working on these pieces in the studio. It has become even more of a game as people continually try to guess what they are and what they mean as Im building them. It amuses me even more when strangers just walking by the studio stop, inspect, and say "cool, whats this for?" and everytime I simply respond with "its a word game". It confuses people. Its like they arent expecting it to be something like that, like they think its going to be a piece of some big conceptual piece. And I love that. Also I find it interesting that people keep asking me things like "why dont you just go get a real one instead of making one out of clay", or "why dont you just make a mold out of a real one?". The answer is simple. I love the challenge of recreating the details of real objects without taking an easy way out to represent them. I think that additional struggle of the human hand is a big part of what I strive for in my pieces. Right then. Thats about it. Ill keep them coming as fast as I can, and feel free to keep guessing and asking questions. :)

No comments: