Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I was thinking of Jeremy’s last piece in another aspect instead of the structure and the insects. I was thinking about the use of shadow and the importance of the shadow in the last piece. When I think of shadows Plato’s cave comes to mind, where the shadow becomes the actual object instead of the object itself. The shadows of the moths become completely different than the moths themselves to me, when I’m looking straight through the fabric. When you lay underneath the structure the moths and their shadows then become more connected. When I was thinking about the shadows the moths made on the fabric I thought about silhouettes and the little pictures artists make by cutting out a person’s silhouette, which is usually their profile. Then I found work from various artists between 1760-1870, which were kind of weird and different. http://www.peggymcclard.com/aaa%20Silhouettist%20Biographies.htm

No comments: