Thursday, October 30, 2008

I’ve been working on expressing emotion in a static piece through form. That’s why I made the pillow-y tentacles with pinch pots attached. After sitting with the piece I found it needed something and created a fence. It helped tie the whole piece together with motion and spoke more about anxiety than before.
Next I’m continuing my exploration of fabric and fabric like things. I plan to create a form out of thrown cylinders, then I’m knitting little sweaters for different sections of the structure. I think this piece with create a lot of really interesting juxtapositions between materials.

I’ve been researching different artists that work with fabric and Ernesto Neto is really great. He uses fabric and form to transform spaces, which is my basically the two biggest themes I’m interested in expressing through my art. Also just in general I love Christo because he transforms natural spaces with fabric. Which is just fabulous!



No comments: