Monday, February 25, 2008

Hi All,

My last ceramics class with Abby focused on figures. If anyone remembers my creepy mud people...haha. Anyway, I felt as if I did not "complete" my exploration with those figures, but at the same time I would like to approach them in a completely different way. Also, I have become very enthusiastic about textures, fabrics, and nostalgic antiques, such as old dolls and toys. It was really difficult to think of something that included all of these aspects, but that is when I came to a website dedicated to people that buy antique cameras, and develop the film. I apologize for the absolute hideous-ness of the website, but the idea is still there. The whole this is entitled "Lost Films", but I tend to see something else when looking in these photographs.

Website
http://westfordcomp.com/updated/found.htm
http://www.shorpy.com/ (another website that I have found imagery from)

In a sense, the people developing the old film are in a sense "bringing to life" the people of the past.. Some of them are really eerie, some are just regualr portraits, but there is an inherent sense of wonder that these people actually lived, whether it be 50 years ago or a 100 years ago, and have probably been forgotten since then. So, I would like to somehow use these phographs as a reference, and create figures that use space better than my previous works. My previous figures didn't enter the viewer's space at all, they were ultimately contained in their own organic forms. This time around I would like to somehow create an installation that interupts the veiwer's space, and once again bring these people back into life. They have now been brought back into a 2D perspective, but If they could enter the physical space of another person, that is one step closer.

Also, I am somewhat uncertain as to how I will construct these figures. I would like them to be slightly caricature-esque, and have a surrounding that matches their expression. Also, unlike my previous figures, I would like them to be moveable, instead of fused in one position. So, I have been researching doll construction and different methods of hinging arms and legs, so I will definitely be creating these people in pieces, and assembling them after they are fired.

No comments: