Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dark Come Soon

First of all, a brief response to Laura Heon: I honestly had trouble with some of the pieces that she talked about, but only in the sense that I couldn't decide how I would feel about them if I had seen them installed at a show. The explanations she gave made them interesting to me, but a deconstructed trailer home on a wall...the pictures didn't do it justice and I am not sure I would have enjoyed the way in which the artist displayed his work. The ideas behind it were strong to me but I don't think I would have made the connections if I saw those pieces in person.
But I am probably revealing my own weaknesses by saying that. It's just how I felt.

In terms of my own piece, I am discovering a few challenges along in the process of making it, but I am pleased with many of the results. I am going to get to learn new techniques for firing and how to operate the gas kiln, so those things are exciting to me, and I am really enjoying the rope pieces and their physical presence. This weekend I am going to start addressing the surface treatments of the ropes...so far I am picturing Terra Sig for a sort of silken rope effect, but I am also brainstorming how to make the ropes more realistic. I am pondering the possibilities of maybe rolling rope dipped in something over the terra sig for texture? any suggestions?
Musically this piece actually hold significance for me because of the band I am currently obsessed with. At first the connection is purely that I am listening to this band while I am making this piece (and while driving, and while walking, and while doing homework...), but it goes further than that. Tegan and Sara use puns and strong artistic sort of imagery in their lyrics. My piece could easily be translated into Tegan and Sara -style lyrics (and if you know the band, especially Sara-style lyrics). In terms of specific songs, Knife Going In and Dark Come Soon really strike me in comparison with this piece. Look them up, they are awesome.
www.myspace.com/teganandsara or www.teganandsara.com.

No comments: