Thursday, October 11, 2007

I really enjoyed Laura Heon's lecture. I was really interested in Hans's work, and I think through her discussion of his work, I learned about how she approaches her own. I would imagine that every curator works differently. She was very knowledgeable about the entire history of his work, and the history that influenced his work. Although she can't possibly have the same point of view as the artist, but I felt she spoke about it in a way that really made it feel more personal. It's interesting to hear, that just like everything else, many of the art works we see are filtered through a very small or elite group and the art world can be shaped by their personal opinions, visions and tastes. it's bananas.

After a slightly frustrating start I'm enjoying my dust chambers again. building them is not nearly as interesting as getting to fool around with the environment that is created inside. A lot of decisions are made through process and material. The unknown factor, is what the dust will do, and while sometimes the unknowns bother me, I am learning to embrace and enjoy them. I find if I rely too much on a plan, things don't work out as well. I'd still like to use light in some way, I've mostly been thinking about using a projector, so the dust has another element to interact with. I am enjoying the simplicity of this project. Although they are sort of complicated systems, the simple cube, the dust and the fans have created something that was unpredictable, and able to stand alone.

As for music, I'm not so sure. I feel that these pieces are very quiet, and contain sound elements all their own. Perhaps they will make their own music! I think they are a strange balance of complex/simple.

No comments: