Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I enjoyed the lecture on Tuesday night. There were a few pieces that I thought were really interesting. The fist was the mountain that was built over top of the building, creating a mountain scene that fused the two areas together. In person I think it would be an amazing visual, I wish I could have seen it. There were many aspects of the piece the artist did in Sight Santa Fe that were intriguing. What first caught my eye was the floor that looked like a painting because of the carpeting, it was an image that I would not have expected to see when tearing apart a mobile home, but was really interesting and beautiful. I also liked the aspect of the dirt that was placed in the large room, and after time you could see the patterning and paths that people had taken. The work seemed very clean and simple, but I really liked the ideas they conveyed and expressed through all the different types of materials.

My project so far is going pretty well, but I have come across some difficulties. Right now I’m on my second cloud, the formations of the clouds building with news paper, then building with clay isn’t so bad, but I had no idea how much time the holes were going to take. I think it’s worth it though. I really like the affect the holes have on the piece. The problem is that now that I’m working with two different sizes of holes and it makes me want to experiment with hole size more and how it changes the shape or the feel of the shape. How large can I make the holes without loosing the shapes of the clouds? I want to make a lot of clouds now ranging from around a foot and a half to as large as I can go and still fire them. I’m also wondering now if its necessary to have the entire cloud shape, top and bottom, or if it will be better to do the top and hint at a bottom so that more light can enter into the cloud and will also add to the light feel of it. Once finished with all of these clouds I want to hang them and maybe place some on the ground and have water underneath them, with their reflection.


After thinking about the musical work that my project reminds me of, I’m not sure of a particular song, but I think about the sound a flute makes. It reminds me of that sound because of all of the holes and if I were to guess what type of sound it would make if air was pushed through I would think it would be something like when you blow across the top of a glass.

No comments: