Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I found Laura Heon's lecture to be very interesting, but it also frustrated me as well. I truly enjoyed Hans' work however, when Laura was discussing perfecting her art eye I felt that she was being a bit close minded. I found it odd that she only tended to look at artists who she found by word of mouth through people she respected. If everyone were to do this then how would any new artists be found? I think that is a big struggle for beginning artists and actually beginning anything that it always helps to have a connection of some sort that will get you known. What about the people who are creating great art, but just don't know the right people?

On the aspect of my work this semester I feel like my ideas are growing as my artistic side grows. I find more and more that projects can spawn from other projects based on my ideas and my continual questioning of the work I create. Even though not everything is working out exactly how planned and there is a lot of trial and error I find that that too helps me grow as an artist.

I enjoy music on occasion, but a lot of the time I enjoy silence more. I envy those people who have extensive music collections and are always listening to new bands and as much as I want to want to be one of them I am not. So I think if my art were to directly connect to music it might be something light and soft and playful that you almost don't notice playing in the background so that it doesnt distract from everything else. Or maybe my art is just the everyday sounds of cars driving on distant roads and lawn mowers in the background and keyboards clacking and creaking of stairs and so much more that creates the "music" of our environments.

No comments: