Tuesday, October 2, 2007

In terms of the Laura Heon lecture, I found the art of Hans Schabus to be quite interesting in that he was able to produce so many different pieces with very different aesthetics, all while investigating the idea of "modernism". I understood what Laura Heon was trying to say when she said that the artisan aspect was not as important as the conceptual aspect in art today, however I do believe that the ideas and the artist behind the piece will guide the type of aesthetic , which may call for more or less of an "artisan's" skill. Finally, when the question of how she finds her artist's to show was asked, her answer was both interesting and a bit disheartening. I found it to take quite a bit of discipline and dedication to actively go out and continually see work to find something that she felt worthy to get into the site, but the fact that artist packets that she receives rarely lead to a show reveals just how selective that kind of exposure can be.

Looking at my two films that I have produced so far this semester, I have discovered that what started out as avenues of learning how to use new tools has lead me to some very personally meaningful work. They have helped me to articulate a bit better, what the connection is between what I have been investigating this past several semesters, and what it is that drives me to continue to want to make art at this point in my life. --more on this as my artist statement develops.

Finally, in terms of music, I believe that I already mentioned what music I felt my work was relating to during the critique the other day. It was the strange sound test featuring the Asian guy wearing the stereotypical Asian pajamas singing that tongue-in-cheeky, Coney Islandish song and finishing with a completely different tone of voice and facial expression while saying the words, "I have no more wind".

No comments: