Saturday, November 29, 2008

better late than never?





Over the summer I saw a Tom Friedman show this summer in London, and I had never seen his work before, and never got a chance to talk about it much.(and i felt a sort of connection during the Franz West show)
http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/britannia-street-2008-05-tom-friedman/
one of the things that sticks in my mind were his collages, they are these seriously intricate fitting-together of things. Strange creatures were built out of this huge accumulation of pieces of images--, ephemeral, sometimes grotesque matter. It was just an incredible building up and such a meticulous construction that made me certain everything was in the right place. I was reminded of them in Baltimore, I was really drawn to his collages, the sticking together of things that created planes almost, and inherent narrative, and chattering back and forth between elements that have been smooshed together. West's seemed a bit more impulsive maybe, but I feel like both used a similar and somewhat calculated language.

Friedman made these crisply constructed sculptures, but it was again a building up, massing of material. what are we balancing inside? some of these things are also strange toys, but very pristine somehow, very crisp figures in space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of Tom Friedman. I have a coffee table book of all his work. He is such an inspiration for me! GOOD TASTE-you go homie.