Saturday, November 22, 2008

I know I know.. We All Were There...



So we went to the BMA, over the river and through the Ghetto... but we made it!
My sweet reward: Franz West.

http://www.artbma.org/exhibitions/special/fw.html#Share

The Ego and the Id was by far my favorite piece. For me it is reminescent of a Dr. Seuss world. As we all know I am working on the shamble of an installation that lays in pieces in my studio. So for me to see Franz West and the way his environment was constructed and how his pieces interact both with one another as well as the viewer was a much needed experience. It was the boost that over the last two weeks I have been searching for. His ability to manipulate the materials, (there are SO MANY) was inspiring. I really enjoy that he didn't use one media, I enjoyed the wacky combo of plaster, paint, cardboard, stickers, photo, found object, video, metal.. you name it! He's a maker, I can see that in myself, I simply love to make! (Thanks Abby for suggesting that we go to this exhibition!)





Yet while there I was oddly enough attracted to... a LITTLE more art.
No really, it's small, real small but I love it. I am into meticulous things, and making miniature doll sized sets, well if that doesn't take time and patience what does?
I couldn't stop grinning over Eugene Kupjack's commissioned miniatures. I was amazed.. I couldn't find any pictures, yet I doubt that a photo would do them any justice, so next time you are in Baltimore check those puppies out!

No comments: