Monday, November 17, 2008

Ernesto Neto ...Ai...ai... at Tanya Bonakdar




Super-beautiful, scented (sweet cooking spices), translucent, stretchy fabric wrapped around the belly of a whale. Being inside this environment made me feel like I was part of some sort of organism. Not just inside it, part of it. 

That works out well considering this quote he made about another piece, "I don't want to make work that depicts a sensual body - I want it to be a body, exist as a body of an idea of it." 

The piece also included an interactive area upstairs where I got to play with sort of 3D puzzle pieces and sit beneath a screen of his fabric. 

At the Tanya Bonakdar Gallery in Chelsea. You can (and should) look at more images here, including one piece that kind of reminds me of the bathtub Britt and I just did. I've been looking at other exhibits of his and the I keep finding that his work seems to be doing the things I've been thinking about lately (the senses, environment, experience, the body), and the things I wish I been thinking about lately...



No comments: