Tuesday, November 25, 2008

GRINGOLANDIA!!!!


So on the New York trip I got to see a super amazing fantastical installation done by a guy named Mickey Western (AKA Agent Martian)!

The installation called "Gringolandia" opened up at Honey Space in Chelsea around 21st street. The installation converted the whole space with only found objects off of the streets of New York. Little did I know that would include three TVs, a drum set, guitars, amps, and a SPACESHIP! (Just kidding but he really did build one inside) It was a very nice experience because I acutally had the privlidge to sit and speak with Mickey for about an hour and a half about his art and his life.

"I like to experience America like a poem," was one of his quotes that stuck out to me that really describes his way of living. He has a college degree or two and teaches poetry/english workshops for some money, yet he chooses to live like a vagrant. He wanders from place to place and makes art and music, and if you ask him where he is from Mickey will say, "I am from everywhere."

More Photos of Gringolandia:



As you can see this was an amazing space. They even had a bar!!! Crazy!! It was a very nice change of pace to go to a space like this and be able to converse with an artist. The installation is used for a lot of performance purpose. Mickey has a band and they hold a lot of events like poetry readings, ribbon dancing, and such there. All in all it was pretty damn amazing that he found and made that space. Probably with a little help but there were a lot of smaller handmade things there that were time intensive that he did make. My favorite were the paper cups that he drew portraits of people on with sharpie. The show is down now unfortunately but he is a good person to keep an eye out for in the art world. If you get the chance to speak with him I would shun you if you did not take it!

Mickey's Myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=73515427

A site with a descrpition of the show that was:

http://www.nyartbeat.com/event/2008/554B

2 comments:

Julianne said...

I stumbled upon that there too! I was really nice/bizarre. I didn't quite know what I was looking at, but when when I saw all that shinny silver through the door I knew I needed to go in. No ribbon dancing when I was there :(

Angie said...

hello, this is mickey! on my friend angie's computron! greetings delaware! any luck building your spaceship? fun show this weekend! if you can make it, check out http://www.ladycircus.com, maybe we'll see ya there! i'll keep in touch, spurs and silver,

mickey!