Tuesday, November 4, 2008

ooopssssie!!!


so, i forgot to post the blog this past friday... better now than never i guess though


Experimentation seems to be going well. Pit-barrel firing was a blast, and now I want to set up an area outside to do like 6, 7, 8, 24!! pit fires at the same time (more like 4 or 5 realistically). One of my overall goals as an artist is to not use machines when making stuff, and I don’t even know if I would keep with that, I just want to do it at least once, so I want to fire my pieces all the way in just a barrel, even if it means that most of them will explode.
I also have been taking photos of the little pieces I’ve been making (as I continue to also make new ones) and I’ve noticed that some actually make really good pics, so I might just try printing the best ones and think about how to display them and stuff to see if they can actually just stand like “good photographs.” I’ve also been working on the surfaces of the pieces that have been bisque fired already, which has proven to be fun, as well as I try to make something out of the pieces that exploded or broke. I also have this immense face that I’ve been “molding”; I put it in a plexiglass box, cover it with plastic to keep it out from the light, and put foam as a lid to pour small amounts of hot water every so often. Right now I have to figure out how to display the face. Also, I’ve been working on this installation that I want to make with the little objects I’ve been making, a corner-mud-K-mart-type-of-thing.
I started running out of money so I haven’t bought any cool gadgets to insert into the new objects I’ve made, but something is happening with the way I make them and how I manipulate the original pre-historic design’s, and that is pretty exiting. I do expect myself to do this for a while longer, probably extending into next semester, as I also work in other ideas I have. For example, I got this random-cliché idea to disguise myself as different personalities, take portraits, and then make small busts from the images.

No comments: