Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Alex's journey to a chair... Thrown?

Alex,

From what I have seen from your work I have come to the conclusion that you are not a big fan of the traditional uses of clay.... And I love it. When I first noticed you covering the chair with clay I was confused and somewhat uninterested. Yet after talking to you in class I am able to see that your project is so much more then a dirty chair. The idea of inserting this into an environment and leading one up to it is quite interesting. I know from your "bed of clay" piece that you like the viewer to interact and what you are proposing sounds like it will require a lot of that and force the viewer to experience something you set up for them. I personally am excited to journey through this little world that we just barely touched on. I think if you really push the idea of forcing one through a space and make it attention grabbing and meaningful this will be a successful piece.


I looked around a little bit and thought you could look at this:
http://www.hometone.org/entry/exotic-clay-furniture-by-maarten-baas/

I hope everything works out and if you need to talk anything out with someone I am there to listen. Clay it up...~Ashlie

No comments: