Wednesday, September 19, 2007

my unusual interaction

haha I just liked the sound of that.

Leah and I talked with one another about our pieces in class for fresh opinions. We spent some time with my piece, but we really went into hers and how to deal with making something weightless (clouds) out of something with significant weight (clay). Leah wants to make the clouds that could make Monet-like reflections. Her clouds are to be abstract and porous, or at least that was my impression. The engineering behind this is an issue, and it reminded me of some of Laura's pieces using lace last semester and her solutions for keeping her delicate pieces from being too fragile to be practical. I told Leah to talk to Laura about glazing pieces before firing them in order to make them stronger.
Leah, I hope you take this as far as you can. I think your clouds will be most effective if you can really stretch the size, and I was most excited about your mention of placing some kind of water container beneath them in order to create the reflection. Your painting background brings something unique into your work and your thought processes, and I hope you capitalize on that.

--Jo

No comments: