Thursday, September 6, 2007

maps and sound

Joe:

I'm really interested in your map/sound piece. I share an interest in maps themselves, but your approach is really fascinating. The idea of a map (or a complex, man made drawing) as the source of a musical score, and how that music can then be related to our manufactured landscape is a surprising and incredible connection. The video footage of you punching through the maps I think serves as a really important part of the piece. Not only is it nice to see the process but the sound element is there as well. I wonder what besides maps could be treated in a similar way perhaps newspapers, charts, photographs...

I think the songs created have lots of possibilities for comparison, finding connections and in a way reinventing a landscape or a strange recording of life as is shapes an environment.

No comments: