Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Jason,

Hearing you talk about your work today was fantastic. It was great to see what kind of ideas that you have been investigating since we took beginning sculpture together. In particular, I found the film and its presentation of images in the that sort of stream of consciousness format to be extremely interesting and beautiful on several fronts. As I watched the film, I felt a sense of longing for a childhood that I have left behind, but more of a longing for a sense of protection received and given as a child and for a child respectively. And now as I try to remember your film, I find myself remembering the clips and sounds in different orders and probably adding in nuances of my own memory and thoughts into the memory of the film.

I'm not quite sure how far and what aspects of memory you are interested in looking at, but I have read up on a few interesting topics of development of the mind which you might be interested in if you haven't come across it already. The one that comes to mind initially is of Piaget and his influence in developmental psychology. Here's as excerpt of his model from a wikipedia article:

Stage One - Sensorimotor (birth to 1.5 years)
Stage Two - Preoperational (1.5 years to 7 years)
Stage Three - Concrete Operations (7 years to 11 years)
Stage Four - Formal Operations (11 years and onward)

Moral judgment stages were termed Heteronomy and Autonomy and were later further delineated by development psychologists.

When watching your film, I felt a strong connection to a more adult frame of mind-as in someone who was past stage four in Piaget's model. It might be interesting to investigate the earlier stages of memory, or in other words how a child thinks and remembers things.

Here's Piaget in a painting...he's got some crazy hair:


No comments: