Wednesday, November 28, 2007

for Laura

yesterday in crit was the first time I got to see all your finished pieces. I think it's a good idea to move away from the domestic size and usage for them. The discussion about other ways to utilize light with them was very interesting. The idea of using the negative spaces between the forms to act as a sort of template for your spray paint is something worth trying. Especially the way you set them up on Tuesday, I could definitely see them in positions where they are chasing each other, or protecting each other, or serving as some sort of filter (for paint, or light, or paint as light or any other such thing). Right now to me they are some sort of creature, and as i picture them larger, I see them being a landscape. Perhaps both. I like the way the square ones stand and tilt, they have a sense of tension. I was thinking about music, and Bjork came to mind. I suppose your pieces visually reminded me of some of her sounds. Some of her music also relates to Iceland's landscape, and I think your pieces relate to landscape as well. You have sharp, more rigid pieces, with fluid, rolling, intertwining pieces. I wonder if the way your pieces were displayed together, in such a strange way made me think of that. Anyway, you can see lots of music videos on youtube. Her music is a strange mix of things put together.

No comments: