Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Leah part dos

So I was just thinking about how I would describe your piece in words to someone else...in a very crude and generalized statement- "wholy" clouds. Thinking just about this statement and the difficulties of your process -meticulously constructing, trying to preserve these forms through firing, having cracking and other issues- I find myself relating it to environmental concerns of global warming and the ozone, etc. However, when I look at your pieces in reality, these concerns don't jump out at me from your aesthetic. To me the actual pieces are just these strange solid manifestations of the natural phenomenon that someone could never really grab. Clouds are painted and depicted in so many ways and usually in a soft, fluffy, and light manner, and your pieces have this strange visual and tactile weight. I know that your holes were intended to make the heavy piece lighter, but by poking holes in this solid form, it reveals the solid nature of the material removing the direct illusion of light clouds. I find this very interesting.

No comments: