Tuesday, November 6, 2007

progress/regress

WHat is happening with this piece? When am I ?
I have passed through what was a very tedious and hectic time with this. Finally Sun Tsu was right! Attack the corners. Bite a million little bites. you will get there. I am reminded of a documentary i saw about the chinese building a road for supplies during WW2. They had nothing with which to fight and embraced a strategy of slow retreat, China's withdrawal into CHina..
There was a brief clip of a peasant squatting barefooted in the middle of an ocean of pebbles, hammering on one. These stones needed to be broken down to use as pavement for the Burmese road. All he had was a small hammer with which to break them down. That's all any of them that were building the road had. Yet one pebble at a time, it happened. THis massive, Long and winding road through impossible terrain was built so that the besieged chinese could get a lifeline.
Now, with a possible 21,000 more 12 foot pieces of monofilament to cut and tie, I feel like I am floating in a vapor of work and contemplation. I am smashing a million pebbles to dust with a tack hammer. I'm not building a form any longer. I am just tying this thread. Tying this thread. Tying this thread.

No comments: