Sunday, November 4, 2007

My last semester...in medias res

So far this semester, I worked on dealing with the footage of the warrior in a way that was suitable for me. It lead to two short films, Futilities and Warriors. I have been very happy with the outcome in those two endeavours and at this point consider them to be finished.

I am still working on the fu dogs, I just finished putting the last segment of the mother-mold at Thayer's in PA last week, so the dogs and molds should be coming home shortly. I also just finished putting together their future housing, and will test their water holding capability on...Tuesday? As for the materials to cast them out of, I think I have found the PVA, although I have to call Dupont tomorrow to find out if I am thinking along the right path as well as an particular safety precautions seeing that the material must be heated.

The next piece that I have been working on is the installation which will be going up sometime this week, once my installation space opens up. An update of the progress of prep is that the cocoons arrived yesterday, and I wanted to see how long it would take for one of them to emerge, so I left one out, and it popped out about 6 hours ago at around 3pm.

Here are two artist's that I have been looking at recently that also have been working with insects.

Mike Libby

Tessa Farmer

Finally, I have one last installation in mind involving the clay faces that have been sitting on my shelf for the past...long time. I am still trying to decide exactly what I will be putting in them, but I do feel that something should go into them. I am also debating what will be going above and below them as well-I am thinking something along the same lines as Tessa Farmer; a micro world hanging from the ceiling, but also growing up from the floor. I'm hoping that it will represent a sort of culmination of the types of aesthetics and issues of identity that I have been working with, not necessarily an end to that frame of thought, but hopefully it will feel like some sort of landmark.

1 comment:

John Transue said...

hey,
you may want to look at Yukinori
Yanagi if you haven't heard of him already. He likes to use ants.