Monday, November 5, 2007

I’m still working on the clouds, they are taking much longer then I anticipated but after finishing a few, I’m really excited about their installation. In the beginning of the semester I was thinking that these clouds would be very large and the number of them would fill the room. After working with the clay I realized that I needed to work on a smaller scale, for the clouds to stay together without breaking. The smaller scale is working out better than I thought it would. I have six clouds so far, one larger cloud with the large holes, a few small clouds with very small holes and a few medium size clouds with medium size holes. I just finished another large cloud, but it is not going to be covered with holes, instead I’m creating patches of holes that create a type of a pattern. After making the 5 clouds that are very airy and covered with holes, I thought that it would be interesting to add some clouds that were more solid, with only patches of holes. I hope that the contrast between the light airy clouds and the more solid clouds will add to the piece once it is completed. I want to make more small clouds (maybe 3-5) that will hang on the wall above the clouds that are placed on the floor. I’m going to fire all the pieces, and still debating on whether to leave them the natural color of the fired clay, or glaze them. I want to use lighting to emphasize the holes when I display the clouds. I can’t wait to finish these clouds to see what they actually look like, since I haven’t set them up together yet, I hope it works out.
I’ve been looking at some interesting paintings online by Shirley Kaneda. I saw her work while I was in New York and just wanted to see more of her paintings and read about her work.

No comments: