Tuesday, November 20, 2007

for Miss Leah Van Rees

I think that I've mentioned it before, but when watching you carve and poke holes into your ceramic "cloud forms" I immediately thought of this type of thing...I'm not sure who the creator of this particular piece is and copies of these are quite common at Chinese novelty stores, but I still always find them to be extremely interesting, meticulous, and borderline obsessive objects since they are carved from a single piece of- ivory in this case.

In your piece, you've taken a singular form and conduct the simple movement of piercing a hole through it, but but it has turned into this extremely repetitive process. Following suit, Anthony Gormley's work also reveals that repetitive nature, but instead of large numbers of negative space, he has made large numbers of positive.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts/making-180000-figures-is-one-big-deal/2006/06/06/1149359745033.html

These fields of his he has done on several occasions-he doesn't actually make all of the figures himself- but I think they each provide an interesting visual- texturally especially as yours does.

Finally, I found this artist who subject matter interests floats in the skies, Thomas Saraceno.

No comments: