Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Blog is Really Flowing this Semester!

So I just wrote my blog out and well it got erased so here I go again. As many of you know I am pushing myself to complete the components of my installation. Last semester I received some great feedback. A few said my piece had an Alice in Wonderland vibe. I am planning on watching that movie again soon!


The piece I want to make this semester will continue to work around proportions, size, shape, and color. I want to create a large RX prescription bottle that is spilling out a pile of differently shaped, sized, and colored pills onto the floor. I am hoping to have a large pile of the above-mentioned pills so I really need to get to work and start cranking them out. At the edge of the pile I want to have pills with human characteristics (faces). As far as the implications of these faces I don't want to say what I am going for that way I can see everyone's gut reactions when I present the piece, or at least get a few done. Once again I cannot fully explain my piece on the internet so feel free to come up to me in the studio and chat with me about it. My only request is that you give me some feedback, I have found that when I hear other's thoughts I am better able to adjust my own in making the piece that I really enjoy. As I mentioned in my powerpoint, I have really been thinking about pills and their role in our society. I think we are an over medicated society and speaking from personal experience pills can have many different effects on the body and mind.

I also mentioned Natalie Dee, I am inspired by her unique style, simplicity, and humor. So if you find yourself down one day I suggest visiting her site for a quick laugh or at least a big smile:
http://www.nataliedee.com/nd-archives/ndarchive-jun08.php

Also Abby suggested that I check out some of Damien Hirst's work. Which I did and I found that I was really attracted to this piece


Obviously my love of skulls appears here. Not to mention the Shininess! It fits in with my wanting to change the context of the skull and it's meaning. I want to see if I can move the skull away from the ideas of death, Halloween and so on and show it as a more beautiful and unique object.

I guess that is about it. This blog is a bit shorter then my original, but I was unable to find the motivation to re-do it. I am really horrible with computers and of course I would find a way to loose my original blog :(

No comments: