Monday, September 15, 2008

Please Ignore the Man Behind the Curtain!!!

Suspension of disbelief is what I want to work with this semester. The final product will be a puppet (hopefully.... if all goes as planned!). It is going to take a few steps to get there though. Number one on the list is to experiment with hot foam latex, which I hear can be a little tricky so I am going to start out small by making a facial appliance from it and then I will probably do a video or a performance with it on. So far the things that I have been looking at for this are as follows:


Jim Henson Movies


Special Effects Makeup


David Bowie's Moose Knuckle

I've been watching these for more information on my working process, so I can hopefully solve some issues before they happen. Youtube also has a lot of instructional videos about working with the latex so hopefully I can pick and choose and find which ones are the right way to do things. Here is one of them from my favorite show... How it's Made!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtx72Harks

If you want some more info about what is going on inside of my head about this project visit my personal blog. It has not been updated in a while but it still has some information on it that could be useful for understanding my process.

http://benlenoir.blogspot.com/

Last but not least I want to get into crystalline glazing. It is quite beautiful and the only thing that I have seen it applied to has been pottery and vessels. I will first test it on that because I do not want to make something sculptural and then it end up not growing crystals. But when I get the firing schedule right and the glaze mixed properly you can bet I will be utilizing it on some weird sculptural thing.


Nice Shades Man...

Almost forgot!!! Just remember... This is what you see:



This is what I see:


No comments: