Sunday, September 7, 2008

time/distance/space/home/whatever

I've been thinking a lot about time and distance and space and home and familiarity.

Walking along the bank of the Thames this summer I found old shoes, broken dishes, toy cars, bones ans a copy of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I also saw lots of objects in museums, reconstructed, pulled out of the ground, shipped far away. Like the reconstructed face of Nefretiti, or the Ishtar gate. I saw the Rosetta Stone, books and maps that showed where the sea was because that is where the sea monsters lived. I read in a book my dad gave me that said some people's hobby is to walk along the Thames with a metal detector and look for treasures that have washed up, but since London was part of the Roman empire, they have found lots of artifacts, and if you found anything that seems significant you are supposed to report it. Oh, I also found a coconut.
I spent a lot of time on planes and trains and automobiles. I think it's weird that when we are on a train for instance our bodies are moving technically but not really in a physical sense we wholly perceive. Except maybe with motion sickness or unstable movements.
I went to cemetaries in London and Paris, the one is London was taken over by ivy and small animals, the one in Paris was like a city becasue they weren't graves, but little altars, all like tall houses croweded together on a hill.
In Germany, I saw a 1000 year old rose bush in a church yard, it was the only part of the church that survived it's destruction at some point in history, In Goslar, I went to one of the old Kaiserplatz from when the emperor moved from palace to palace (the italics won't go away). In a tomb, or sort of tomb on the ground floor was a monument to a Frederick the great or somesort and his heart was burried in this stone coffin because he was so kind and generous, the stained glass windows showed depictions of his heart, and were really simple and strange illustrations, thickly outlined and in bright, primary colors.
In London we tried tuning an underwater tunnel into a long distance telephone call.
And at home, I do the same drives all the time, and through town at night there is a strange red boat parked on the sidewalk.

Oh, and strange blops of cake that are saved in cabinets by my great Auntie Evelin.

When I got back to Delaware I read Slaughter House Five by Kurt Vonnegut and thought a lot about the part where the bobming of Dresden in reversed and the bombs fly back into the bellies of planes. Also abiout how every moment in always existing in some time/place/form

So I am thinking about some sort of time capsule.
but what about landfills, and also wheels.

here is some work by Graham Stevens, I saw it at the Centre Pompidou in July

No comments: